вторник, 24 сентября 2013 г.

I recommend all the London Walks, ghostly or not. I ve taken all of the ghost walks and many other t


When I travel to new cities and towns, I always make a point of taking the local ghost tour. Guided ghost walks often explore parts of the city that are a bit off the beaten path and take place at night when these areas are deserted and quiet, providing an unique experience of the city you can t get any other way. Some of these tours are led by the town historian who has researched the history and ghost stories associated with each location. Others are more theatrical affairs with actors in long black capes following scripts. Either way you ll learn a lot about the city you re visiting and have a lot of fun along the way. Heck, you may even have a paranormal experience all your very own.
I met Martin Leal, founder of the original San Antonio ghost tour, in 1999 while I was writing Haunted Texas Vacations: The Complete Ghostly honolulu apartment rentals Guide . The tour highlights the large downtown area surrounding the haunted Alamo, once the battleground for this famous and brutal conflict. Many of the surrounding buildings, including the Menger Hotel and even a modern mall, are haunted by the restless spirits of those who died fighting and weren t given proper burials.
Here s a ghost walk through my own backyard. Jeanine Plummer is the owner of Austin Ghost Tours and has been researching Austin ghost stories for years. I met her while I was writing Haunted Texas Vacations: The Complete Ghostly Guide . A highlight of this walk is a tour of the very haunted Driskill Hotel built in 1888. Two tourists at different times captured photographs of a transparent male figure climbing the stairs from the lobby. These are some of the best spirit photographs I've seen. Is this the ghost of Jesse Driskill, one-time owner of the hotel who lost it all in a card game?
My family visited Chicago in the spring of 2006. I contacted Troy Taylor, co-owner and creator of the Weird Chicago Tours and the author of more than eighty books on hauntings, and he treated my sister and I to his bus tour of haunted Chicago. Infamous locations such as the site of the bloody St. Valentine s Day Massacre are featured along with many unique places only found on this tour of the spooky side of the Windy City.
Jodi Breckenridge is the founder who leads historic walks through Jefferson, Texas. I met Jodi in 1999 while I was writing Haunted Texas Vacations: The Complete Ghostly Guide . She managed the front desk of the town's most haunted hotel, The Jefferson Hotel, and provided many personal experiences of the ghosts who still roam its halls. Jodi is a natural honolulu apartment rentals story-teller and has studied the history of her town for many years. She knows everyone in town and shares many personal paranormal tales while strolling along the red-brick streets of this hidden gem of a town filled with historical landmarks, antique shops, and great restaurants.
My husband Roger and I took this wonderful ghost walk in October 2012 while in Maine on vacation. Our wonderful guide Gordon was very knowledgeable and entertaining. Gordon is also a sensitive and in tune with the other side. Walking through the cold, dark streets of this seaside town with dry leaves honolulu apartment rentals skittering at our feet and a full moon hanging overhead was incredibly atmospheric—creepy and delicious.
I had something very unusual happen on the New Orleans Ghost Tour of the French Quarter (I've also taken the cemetery and vampire tours and they re all good). You've never really experienced hot until you've been in New Orleans in the summer and, remember, I live in Texas, a state known for its heat. We were in the Big Easy for a long weekend in late May. We were all dressed in shorts and T-shirts and sweating as we strolled through this historic part of New Orleans. As we stood outside the haunted building known as the LaLaurie Mansion , listening to the terrible tale associated with this infamous house, goosebumps formed on my arms and legs and I felt inexplicably chilled. Then the nausea started. Afraid I was going to be sick, I left the group and went to sit down on the curb. Our guide came over to check on me and when I described the way I was feeling, insisted that I move across the street away from the LaLaurie Mansion. I did so and the symptoms immediately abated. He told me that he'd seen this happen to tour participants again and again when standing outside the mansion. The energy emanating from this building is so strongly negative that it seems to affect some people's bodies in uncomfortable ways.
I arranged a group tour of Haunted Haight for my work team when we met in San Francisco for a quarterly meeting a few years back. I was very impressed with our tour guide who really knew the history of this famous neighborhood and the ghost stories associated with it. My team had a blast even though most of them weren't as into ghosts as I am.
I was lucky enough to tour Mary King s Close twice, once before the close was restored and developed into the tourist attraction it is today and then after The Real Mary King s Close opened to the public. My favorite tour was private and before the close was turned into a tourist attraction, but the interesting atmosphere of this underground street was still evident on the public tour complete with costumed guides honolulu apartment rentals and staged settings. An eerie photo of a lonely spirit was captured in the close after hours and featured in the local newspaper while we were there.
As mentioned in my last post Haunted York , this tour company claims to be the world's first ghost walk. My sister and her husband took this tour back in the mid-1980s and came home with stories honolulu apartment rentals about how fun and interesting it had been. I'd always wanted to go on this tour as a result and got my first chance in the mid-1990s. I've taken the tour three times now and it never disappoints. Strolling through the city s medieval snickleways at night makes you feel like you ve stepped back in time.
One of the best stories I've heard while on a ghost walk—anywhere—took place on the Ghosts of the Old City walk through Hyde Park. It has a ring of truth and was relayed to me in a serious and compassionate manner by our guide (I tend to walk with the guide and ask questions in between stops). We'd just heard the story of a ghostly procession leading King Charles I to his execution that's been seen in this park on moonlit nights. I asked the guide to tell me the strangest thing he'd personally experienced honolulu apartment rentals on one of his tours. He told me that he was leading a private history walk (sans ghost stories) for a group of American businessmen through the park the year before. The group had come directly from a business dinner and were all dressed in suits. honolulu apartment rentals At the end of the tour, one of the businessmen approached the guide and sheepishly asked for a private conversation. He'd described watching in horror as a ghostly procession of men materialized in the distance (remember, he hadn t heard the ghost story about Charles I). He was terrified and had peed his pants. He explained that he'd only brought the one suit and had another meeting in the morning. He was horribly embarrassed, but didn't know what else to do. The guide assured him he would take care of everything and made arrangements honolulu apartment rentals to have to the man's suit cleaned and ready for him in the morning.
I recommend all the London Walks, honolulu apartment rentals ghostly or not. I ve taken all of the ghost walks and many other tours focusing on history, art and even spies and espionage, and their Blue Badge Tour Guides are the best.
This one's not technically a ghost tour, but it so utterly spooky and such a favorite that I had to include it. I first went on this walk back in 1991 (I chose this tour over going to a Wimbledon tennis match) and have taken the tour a half dozen times since. If at all possible, take the Jack the Ripper walk led by the world's foremost honolulu apartment rentals expert on the Ripper killings, author Donald Rumbelow (and read his books on the subject). The London Walks website lists Rubelow s tour times. His groups will be large—in fact, this tour brings out the largest groups I've experienced on any of these walk—but it will be well worth it to hear all of the grisly details and theories from this renowned expert while visiting the scenes of all the Ripper murders in the East End s White Chapel neighborhood.
I took the Underground Tour on a November evening that was appropriately damp and gloomy with a chill in the air that seeped into your bones and warranted the coats, gloves, and scarves all the tour participants wore. Our small group made its way along a dirt passageway lit by flickering torches along the walls of the subterranean cellar. I lingered at the entrance of a tiny darkened room, once occupied by a cobbler and his family of sixteen. Three hundred years ago, these underground vaults housed dozens of families who spent their lives living without sun and fresh air, several feet below the bustling town above.
honolulu apartment rentals Suddenly, I felt three sharp tugs on the back of my coat. Whirling around, the passage behind me was empty. As the goosebumps rose on my arms, I quickly made my way back to the tour group (actually, I ran) and sought out our tour guide. Upon hearing my story of the mysterious tugs, the guide told me that many tour takers had experienced this phenomenon while walking honolulu apartment rentals the dank corridors of the underground vaults. Many believe that a small boy s spirit that lingers in this town below the ground is responsible.
It is said that a poltergeist haunts Greyfriars Kirkyard. I decided to take the tour and see for myself. It was a bitterly cold, moonless November night when I experienced strange feelings of dread and urges to run over the course of our walk through the cemetery. I can honestly say that walking through Greyfriars that night was one of the scariest experiences I ve ever had. Nothing honolulu apartment rentals unusual seemed to happen. I didn t see anything scary. I didn t hear anything scary. I felt terrified for reasons that revealed themselves the next day. While taking a shower the next morning, I found dark bruises circling my left forea

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий