пятница, 15 февраля 2013 г.

I love this post! I live in Boston and have been on this 8 times! It s the perfect tour to take out-


Look, I m sure you are a lovely person and that you are sophisticated and smart and you can probably get through Steven Pinker cheap cruise in europe s books without needing a dictionary to look up every sixth word (which is what I have to do before I throw them down and re-read The Hunger Games , instead). I suspect that you can appreciate the finer things in life, and that you laugh at British comedies and know how to properly pronounce fois gras.
But in spite of all of that, you are not above having a little silly fun. Or, at least, you shouldn t be. I ve once considered myself too sophisticated and worldly to appreciate cheesy tourist attractions, and that s something I ve grown to regret. I missed out on the wonder and hilarity that can be found therein.
A few weeks ago, I went on a Boston Duck Tour . At first, Rand and I were a little hesitant. There s so much we still haven t seen in Boston cheap cruise in europe we haven t done the Sam Adams Brewery Tour (which is supposed to be great) and we haven t seen the Isabella Stewart cheap cruise in europe Gardner Museum cheap cruise in europe (the site of one of the greatest unsolved art heists, ever !) And this time around, we were only in town for one full day. Were we really going to spend it sitting on a boat/bus hybrid laughing at corny jokes from our driver and snapping hundreds cheap cruise in europe of pictures?
I can t take credit for the brilliant idea of going on the tour in the first place. That belongs to Ryan, the fiancé of one of Rand s coworkers. He had read about the Duck Tours, and had convinced cheap cruise in europe the rest of us that we needed to go.
The Ducks were originally built for troops in WWII ; the vehicles could easily travel across sea and land, which made them incredibly useful in cities and areas where proper ports or docks were unavailable. There were even Ducks present during the invasion of Normandy. Five of Boston s Ducks are originals from the War; the rest are modern replicas. And today they ve all been converted to diesel gas so that they emit less pollution.
The Ducks are a great way to get a good overview of the town, but because Boston is so darn full of history, the tour isn t and couldn t be incredibly in-depth (if you want that sort of thing then check out the Freedom Trail Tour  or just spend a few hours exploring the city on your own. I really like the Old South and Faneuil Hall ). Instead, we breezed through the city, as our driver noted a few points of interest, and rattled off a large number of delightfully random cheap cruise in europe facts and trivia about the town (she was incredibly keen on the many firsts that took place in Boston ).
It s funny, because this sort of tour is so not Rand s cup of tea, and yet he probably laughed the loudest at every single one of the driver s cheesy jokes. And holy cats, does he have a great laugh. It s deep and loud and slow and you can feel it rumble through your chest. And it s impossible to ignore after the tour, the driver cheap cruise in europe thanked him being such a good sport.
How to Get There: cheap cruise in europe You can pick up the tour from one of three locations the Museum of Science, The Prudential Tower, or the Aquarium. Odds are, one of these spots will be walkable from your hotel (or you can always take the T ).
Insider tips: tickets fill up fast. You ll want to reserve them online, or get to your destination cheap cruise in europe early. cheap cruise in europe There aren t really bad seats on the tour, so don t worry if you are stuck at the back. And shop around a few places offer discounted tickets, but you need to seek them out. The ducks  do  go on the river, but the ride is very smooth, so unless you are deathly afraid of water, you should be fine.
Nearby food: depends on where you are leaving from, but this shouldn t be a problem at any of the locations. We left from the Museum of Science, so we were able to grab a bite at Neptune on the North End, which is pricey and crowded, but fantastic.
We have the same sort of thing up here in Halifax, Nova Scotia, they call it the Harbour Hopper. We took my son and nephew on it for the first time this year and they had a blast. Nothing like watching a little kid when they realize their car is driving cheap cruise in europe into the water. Worth every penny.
I was raised on ballet and art museums, but I do believe in the importance of silliness. I can t stand it when people are too cool for school. Being a little cheap cruise in europe silly helps when I am in my cardio class as I am a tad dyslexic.
Great post! Random cheap cruise in europe thought- another cool thing you should cheap cruise in europe do in Boston is the Harpoon cheap cruise in europe Brewery Tour. I ended up there one day on a long layover and it was totally worthwhile. The guide is hilarious so I m sure you and your husband will be laughing.
We have The Lady Dive (there is a joke there) cheap cruise in europe it is fun. Silly. cheap cruise in europe But fun. I have done hop on hop off tours and yes, I use to think they were horrid and I was above that. Now I realize when I arrive in a new city it is the best way to get my barring's. So I grin, I laugh and GO!
I love this post! I live in Boston and have been on this 8 times! It s the perfect tour to take out-of-towners on, especially if it s a short trip. And if there aren t a lot of kids on your boat, you can raise your hand to drive the boat in the water. It s pretty awesome. Of course, that is if you don t take yourself too seriously
cheap cruise in europe I have given to now doing half touristy, half trying to find places the locals hang out, stuff. For YEARS I thought myself way above touristy things, but no more. I am going to New Orleans next month and the first thing I did was book an airboat swamp tour, and a cemetery tour. And I m really excited about it. And I m pretty sure I ll go to the horrible touristy bar that makes the hurricanes. Because cheap cruise in europe when in NOLA, you have to have a really bad rum drink.
Too funny just moments after I read this post, I see on FB that my sister is on a duck tour- as we speak- and she s ready to take the quacking toy of the kid behind me and toss it out the window. YMMV
We have something like this here in San Diego and although I ve been in SD for almost 11 years I ve still never been on it. Now my husband and I are thinking of moving sooner than later and guess what s on our list of To-Do s before cheap cruise in europe we leave?! I can t wait ..thanks for the fun post!
I made this mistake in San Francisco. I avoided the bus that picks you up in Union Square and takes you on one of three routes. Last time we were there, we were walking by, had a little cheap cruise in europe time to kill, they were boarding and the next thing you know, we were passing city hall as a woman in a wedding dress was going inside to get married. I avoided them beacuse they are so obviously cheap cruise in europe touristy but what is helpful is seeing things we want to go back and check out in more detail. cheap cruise in europe Also, the guide did tell some interesting things you might not find out otherwise cheap cruise in europe like the McDonalds on Haight next to Golden Gate Park is supposedly the only one in the country without a dollar menu. Too many homeless were coming there with their panhandled dollars.
I am a big goofball and love this kind of thing! We did the Duck Tour in Washington cheap cruise in europe DC and had a blast. We also had plastic duck bill whistles that we were encouraged cheap cruise in europe to blow throughout and posed for a silly group photo with them at the end. Life s too short to worry about being cool. Just have fun! (Thus why my blog is called Ferreting Out The Fun.)
I m from Philly, so I m a little gun shy about the duck boats. (two teens from Croatia were killed when a barge basically ran over a stalled cheap cruise in europe duck boat in the Delaware cheap cruise in europe River. Very sad.) Did they give you the quacker noisemakers? cheap cruise in europe That s where I draw my silliness line. It can be kind of disconcerting to be waiting to cross a street and have a duck boat full of quackers waiting at a light next to you, all full on quacking.
But, I did go on a hop on, hop off Boston bus and Harbor tour last week. We then followed the liberty cheap cruise in europe trail and read gravestones for people who were born in the 1500 s!! Shame about those Puritans coming here to escape religious prosecution and then hanging a lady for being a Quaker. Really people, do we have to enact the First Amendment on your behind?
We also drove out to Lexington and Concord and saw the rude bridge that arched the flood; their flags to April s breeze unfurled; cheap cruise in europe where once the embattled farmer stood, and fired the shot heard round the world. (Thank you Ralph Waldo Emerson).
Whether you do a silly tour or a Mrs. Excitement tour, take a tour of Boston. It s a compact place. Learn the history where it happened, Then, hop on some conveyance and head down to Philadelphia to finish the story Declaration of Indpendence, US Constitution and other American scripture like that.
Love your coverage of Boston. We recently travelled there as a family of 5 this past summer and did a cannoli taste testing at Mike s Pastry and bought an INCREDIBLE lobster tail at Modern Pastry. YUM! We also did the Duck Tour but, mind you, this was in the 98 degree temps of July. Thus, I disagree that there is no bad seat the bad seats are the ones directly behind the driver. The exhaust from the boat/bus comes in right there open the over door hot and is laden in fumes. It was bad enough I had sweat trickling down my legs but the exhaust made me want to hurl! Other than that it was a cool tour, and I especially loved going into the Charles River.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий