вторник, 31 марта 2015 г.

Find out who really sent the offer. If an offer comes from an unrecognized source, assume the worst.


Join Renew My Account Community Newsletters My Interests Log In Join My Account My Community My Community Profile My Newsletters Log Out My Account Renew My Community My Community Profile My Newsletters My Interests Log Out My Account Renew My Community My Community Profile My Newsletters My Interests Log Out Renew My Account My Community My Community Profile My Newsletters My Interests Log Out
En español | With the Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster fresh on the minds of millions of Americans, don’t be surprised if scammers try to turn it to their advantage. They love nothing more than a news event that they can use to cheat you.
So, in the weeks ahead, watch out for calls and emails from crooks claiming they’ve been authorized to offer huge cruise discounts (on safe ships, of course) to make up for a surge of Costa Concordia-related cancellations.
1. The prize cruise. You’re told you’ve won a free cruise or have qualified for a fabulous cut-rate price, but you’ll need to provide a credit card number to pay a deposit or processing fee. You may even be asked for your passport or Social Security number to prove that you’re the entitled winner.
If you give your credit card number, ancient greece travel guide you may be charged “port fees” and other incidentals that exceed what you’d pay for an entire booking through a legitimate cruise line or travel agent. Provide your Social Security or passport number and you risk future identity theft.
2. The hidden sales pitch. Some offers are designed just to get you to attend a sales pitch for a timeshare or an expensive and potentially problem-prone vacation club . You may in fact get a low-cost cruise, but past passengers complain of below-par accomodations – and high-pressure presentations that take not the promised 90 minutes but four hours or more.
3. The long-distance scam. Offers are sometimes nothing more than a ruse to run up your phone bill. To claim your prize cruise, you’re told to call a 900 phone number or one with an area code of 876, 868, 809, 758, 784, 664, 473, 441, 284 or 246. Those codes seem all-American, but are actually for foreign countries, with the clock running at $5 a minute or more. In the end, there’s no cruise, only a high phone bill.
Beware of buzzwords. ”Gotcha” cruise promises tend to use language like you're eligible to win or guaranteed. One word that should never trick you: “Free.” It means just that — so don't pay deposits or service fees on the promise you’ll get them back later.
Find out who really sent the offer. If an offer comes from an unrecognized source, ancient greece travel guide assume the worst. But legitimate cruise lines may send past customers emails or mailings about real low-cost offers. Before you respond, authenticate the address with an online search. Watch out for look-alike Internet addresses that are just a letter or two different from legitimate ones. Never click on attachments in unsolicited emails; they could unleash rogue programs known as “malware” on your computer.
Get proper confirmation of your booking. If you book through a travel ancient greece travel guide agent or other third party, make sure that you get two sets of confirmation numbers — one directly from the cruise line and one from the other agency. That will help in any disputes.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий