суббота, 30 ноября 2013 г.

I remember that club! I think it was just to the right (west) as you crossed over the bridge into At


I was working on a film shoot here recently, and when I walked through the doors, I was blown away. I had scouted a number of so-called period europe cheap car rental beach clubs for the movie, all of which ultimately turned out to be tacky skeletons of a former glory. Yet Catalina seemed to have been frozen in time
The club s early history is murky. The initial building was constructed sometime in the last 1920 s along with a number of other beach clubs, as New York s wealthy discovered the beauty of Atlantic Beach. europe cheap car rental In 1944, it was purchased by the Carasso and Sevy families, who still own and operate it as a private members club to this day.
If you re having a bit of deja vu, don t be surprised: Catalina has been featured in hundreds of movies, television shows, and print ads over the years. Royal Pains spent quite a lot of time filming here recently; Sports Illustrated shot swimsuit edition photos here; and the beach club scene in Goodfellas took place by the pool:
When a director asks us for a dank alley, a chicest of chic Wall Street office, or an abandoned warehouse, europe cheap car rental it s often an impossible task because he s expecting us to find the perfect prototype of his imagination. Rarely does reality live up to this standard.
Catalina amazes me because europe cheap car rental it is that perfect prototype: exactly what you imagine when you think of a 1950 s beach club. Free from feeling intentionally retro and wonderfully devoid of any hipster irony, Catalina is that rarest of rare place, where time has simply come to a halt.
If you liked this post, would you consider making a donation to help me make my first movie? The goal is $30,000, and already, 1,137 generous readers europe cheap car rental have donated $24,364.69. Just $5 or $10 can make a difference - AND you get this snazzy Scouting NY bumper sticker or bumper magnet as a Thank-You gift! Click here to donate europe cheap car rental today!
Would this also be perhaps the place where the Good Fellas scene where Karen Henry are at the Country Club sitting at a table when Karen s friend stops to talk to her? When I saw your post on this that is what I instantly thought of.
Very nice work! I was a PA on Goodfellas and the 1st AD on the pilot for Royal Pains and you are indeed correct. We filmed there for 2 days on the pilot and used the pool area for the title sequence.
As for Tommy getting whacked, it was not Tommy who got whacked there, but Stacks (Samuel Jackson) It was in a small building on the other side of the parking europe cheap car rental lot out front. Every time he got shot, the cleanup took 45 minutes!!
Until 10 minutes ago, I would have told you I unarguably do not give a crap about any old Long Island beach club, and now I am infatuated europe cheap car rental by this style and wish DESPERATELY I could go spend a day as a member europe cheap car rental of this place. Thank you for consistently writing posts that make me have this same reaction to other locations I have never even considered europe cheap car rental for a moment before.
Hmm, they didn t do the entrance any favors by broadening the overhang and sticking columns under it. Is that facade stucco? The pastels make me a little queasy too. But yeah, these are quibbles. The place is kind of a miracle.
I love the Scouting NY site! Yeah, I agree with your idea, that the beach club looks like a cruise europe cheap car rental ship! That s the first thing that I thought of when I saw your pics of the club that it looked like a 1940s cruise boat, or a Tom Sawyer era-paddle wheel boat.
I remember that club! I think it was just to the right (west) as you crossed over the bridge europe cheap car rental into Atlantic Beach. I could be wrong about this, but I seem to recall that back when I lived in Lawrence as a kid in late 60s and early 70s, that club was getting kind of run-down and seedy. Whatever . . . it certainly looks today like a lot of money and care has been has been put into restoring and keeping its original 1920s-era splendor.
P.S. I didn t know that this was the setting for the beach club scene in Goodfellas! Bruce, the cocky rich brat in that scene, gets his comeuppance a few scenes later, when he tries to rape Karen and instead gets pistol-whipped by Henry to within europe cheap car rental an inch of his life: I swear on my f**kin mother! europe cheap car rental If you ever touch her again I ll kill you!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий