суббота, 31 мая 2014 г.

I had pesos and dollars but use pesos when possible. Right now the rate is 13 pesos to 1 USD but oft


How we use your email Fodor's may use your e-mail address to send you relevant information on site updates, account changes, and offers. For more information about your privacy and protection, please review our full Privacy Policy .
Hello everybody. We have a trip to Cancun pictures of cruise ships planned for early July. This trip will include my husband and myself, our two tween children, my husband's elderly parents and my husband's siblings and their spouses/ kids. I have some questions/ concerns. It has been many a year since my last trip to Mexico and after reading the u.s. Travel pictures of cruise ships warnings , I find myself anxious for my in laws, my kids, etc. We plan to stay mostly at the resort, but do have a trip to Chichenitza and X Carot planned. I'm a little worried about safety, mainly away from the resort. Ok. Here goes the list
Also pesos/ dollars. We plan to use a credit pictures of cruise ships card and cash. I wouldn't dream of trying to use dollars in other countries so why would I here? What is the best way rate wise to exchange and how much is reasonably safe to carry at a time?
First of all, take a deep breath and relax. No, it is not as bad as you are reading since all of the problems that are being reported in the Cancun area are related to drug traffic. Unless pictures of cruise ships you plan on doing that, vacation as you would elsewhere but take the same precautions you would anywhere pictures of cruise ships else. People usually get into trouble if they:
Credit cards are not always accepted everywhere in Mexico and it is not advisable to use them. Use cash, exchange your money at a cambio or bank into pesos and use that. Don't walk around flashing money. Not advisable anywhere in the world to do that.
There are very good hospitals in Cancun. If you have a problem, or even when you arrive at the resort, inquire as to who their attending doctor is and ask how that person can be contacted. Many of them will come to the resort to make a visit.
Bottled water, fresh food cooked well, washed fruit and vegetables are all a good idea. I can tell you I travel to Mexico pictures of cruise ships and live part time there many times a year. I have been sick a total of 2 times in the last 8 years. I eat everywhere and probably in places most people would not go. Look for restaurants that have a lot of people. Usually a good indicator of good food and food that is moved through pictures of cruise ships the restaurant quickly so it's not sitting around. Chichen Itza does have a small deli like place but I usually pack my own food when I go there. Many trips will eat along the way at restaurants unless you are taking a big tour bus. Xcaret is a large theme park. Can't say I've been since I tend to avoid places like that but I've heard it's wonderful. Again, look for food that is not been sitting around.
Where are you staying? Is it an all inclusive resort? The food/drinks offered at the resorts in Cancun are fine to consume. pictures of cruise ships They use filtered water, so it OK to eat and drink in the restaurants. Just don't drink water from the sink in your room. It's OK to shower with though.
I never use credit cards on vacation. Too easy for someone to scam the number off the card. We always bring and use US dollars, which seem to be appreciated and with the rate exchange is a better deal. Anywhere in Mexico and the Caribbean the US dollar is gladly pictures of cruise ships accepted. "I wouldn't dream of trying to use dollars in other countries so why would I here?" I do not understand this statement.
Are you taking a bus tour to Chichenitza? When we stayed in Cancun we took one of the big bus tours. pictures of cruise ships We toured Valladolid and went to a restaurant for a buffet pictures of cruise ships lunch, which was fine and then to a cenote before going to the Chichenitza. In July in will be very hot and humid. There is a restaurant there and we had the most delicious chicken pictures of cruise ships lime tortilla soup.
How did you plan to get to Xcaret? From Cancun a taxi will be overly expensive. I would suggest a tour that includes transporation. There is a night show with dinner that is awesome. It must be booked in advance. pictures of cruise ships Try and stay for that.
We have been going to Mexico about once per year since 2000. We never had any problems. Just use common sense. Most of the reports that you have seen are for the border areas of Mexico, not the tourist areas. Millions of people travel to Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen and the Mayan Riviera pictures of cruise ships all the time with no issues. We live 3 hours from a border town of Mexico in Texas. It's safer for me to visit Cancun than it is to basically live in my own town. Check a map to get some presceptive.
In Cancun, look at Aqua World for water activities. Also the La Isla mall is a nice place to go for the day and have lunch. There is a small dolphin show there also. La Casa Del Margaritas is a very good restaurant.
Thank you. Since we won't be drinking ourselves into a stupor or purchasing illicit drugs, I guess I can breathe on that score. I will ask about doctors on arrival at the resort, just to be prepared.
KVR- my husband is in line with your ideas about using dollars. I, on the other hand, always try to use local currency in case dollars are not accepted and they dont accept credit pictures of cruise ships cards. This has happened to us in the past. Yes, both Chihen Itza and x Caret will include transportation.
I didn't expect to find credit cards a no no. We always have one for emergencies pictures of cruise ships and if we unexpectedly find ourselves low on cash. Perhaps we will reassess that for Cancun. Thanks for the reassurance and suggestions.
Katzgar- although there isn't usually excessive concern about ths part of Mexico , 7 people were murdered in Cancun during spring break. So tourist presence is clearly not always a deterrent. It is due to the spreading drug violence and that I have children and elderly with me that I expressed unusual concern. .Thank you for your suggestion though.
I had pesos and dollars but use pesos when possible. Right now the rate is 13 pesos to 1 USD but often (taxis for one) you will only be offered pictures of cruise ships a 10 to 1 exchange rate. Would you rather pay 100 pesos (about $8.50) or $10? Your choice. If something is priced in USD, ask the price in pesos.
We always book our excursions on-line with a credit card about 30 days before arriving. When there we only use cash. Take lots of one dollar bills and 5 dollar bills for tipping. Nothing over a 20. I always try to pay in exact amounts for restaurants and shopping. If not, you will get pesos as change. After all of our several trips, I have accumulated way too much peso money that I will never use. My last trip to Mexico, I gave it all away. I do bring one credit card in case of a emergency, but have never used it.
Just stay in the tourist areas. Our last trip to Cancun was for my 40th birthday. We did a bar hopping tour that ended about 2am and we walked from the last club back to our hotel. No problem. Plenty of people out that time of night and cabs keep asking us if we wanted a ride because they wanted the fare. We walked and used the bus system day and night. No issues.
We have ben travelling to the Mayan Riviera for many years, in small hotels. We have never had any problems, so don't be afraid of leaving your 'compound'! You will be pleasantly surprised to see that this part of Mexico is quite safe, and the locals are friendly. pictures of cruise ships Your USA cell phones will work fine. Im not sure about Medicare, but most medical insurances should cover you in Mexico. Eating away from the resort will be fine - there are thousands of tourists from all over the world out and about, enjoying themselves, and they seem to survive. Most eating establishments serve purified ice and bottled water. The local beers are great. I typically use my credit card whenever possible, and carry about $400 pesos (about $35) in my wallet just in case. Your biggest worry might be the heat - July in this part of the world can be very hot indeed.
Your insurance will NOT pay for any hospital/medical bill while you are IN Mexico. pictures of cruise ships The hospital will demand payment from you right then and there. pictures of cruise ships You can then be reimbursed by your insurance co. when you get home. Check with your insurance co. to be sure of the details. Take a credit card with a high limit if you are worried about a hospital bill.
I would just reiterate what I said earlier. Be very careful with credit and debit cards. Do NOT use the Cashola machines that are on the street that dispense both US and MX funds. Only use bank machines where the card can just be swiped. Check your accounts when you return for several months and give your bank a heads up if you will be using the cards out of the country. Most people will not get skimmed but it does happen. pictures of cruise ships Do not flash money around.
Staying in the tourist areas with elderly folks may be your most comfortable zone to be in. I can understand that. I also understand that to see Mexico pictures of cruise ships you can't stay in the tourist zone or just go to Xcaret. Chichen Itza will be extremely hot in July so be prepared. There is very little shelter once you leave the entry building. There are also no toilets around the facility other than in the main building. Coba may be a better pictures of cruise ships choice for you as it is in the jungle more with shade and you can rent bicycles or pedicabs to get around. Just thought.
Schmerl is correct. If you require hospitalization make sure you have a credit card with you that will work. That means calling the company before you go and letting them know your plans. You don't want to get into a situation where your credit card is denied and it's an emergency.
Katzgar is also correct - the Yucatan is very safe for tourists as long as they don't act foolish. For the most part those tourists you are injured fall off balconies. I kid you not. Drink too much and hang over the edge. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people rent in my complex in Playa who insist on walking around the railing up on the penthouse roof.
If you only eat in the tourist zone you will be missing a lot of amazing food. Don't be afraid to venture out. You didn't say where you were staying; are you in Cancun itself, down the coast in on of the AI's or in Playa del Carmen?

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий