пятница, 29 марта 2013 г.

After breakfast, we walked over to a neighborhood called the Garden District. We had decided not to


Continuing on our adventure in the French Quarter in New Orleans, Louisiana, I noticed a strange phenomena. Just about everyone was walking around with a dog. Big dogs, little dogs, cute dogs, ugly-looking dogs you name it, they were there. Some of the dogs were also dressed up.
I had never seen so many dogs in one place and it seemed quite odd to me.  Then, I noticed search engines for best airline tickets that people were starting to gather on the sides of the streets. It appeared that a parade was going to start soon.
People didn t seem to mind being in such a large crowd and since we were there, we also found a place to stand and waited for the parade to start. Then the funniest thing happened. I figured out why there were so many dogs around. Can you guess?
Well, this was a dog parade. (laughing) There were dogs in the parade who were also up for adoption.  Coming from the Fremont neighborhood in Seattle, I shouldn t have been so surprised but it caught me totally off guard. (A quick note my pictures of the parade didn t come out as well as I would have wanted because people were moving quickly and they were also throwing beads in the air that I was trying to catch.)
Our dessert was pecan pie and cherries jubilee. My husband and I shared the pecan pie and it was the best pecan pie I have ever tasted in my whole life! It was not as dense as most pecan pies, not too sweet and it just seemed to melt in my mouth.
We were probably the only ones here when we arrived which was shortly after they opened. Our waiter was quick and the food, again, was good. We really were fortunate in having good food while in New Orleans.
After breakfast, we walked over to a neighborhood called the Garden District. We had decided not to take a cab but just get a feel for the neighborhood and that can always be done better on foot. Looking back, we probably should have taken a cab to the ninth ward where hurricane Katrina caused catastrophic flooding.
So, did I like New Orleans? No not really. It is a unique town with great food but I was troubled by the spiritualism that seems to be prevalent around town. Stores had voodoo dolls and, for me, there was a distasteful flavor of darkness.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий