воскресенье, 25 января 2015 г.

I found the Sheltering Sky riveting because I am a travel fanatic and this book is about the power o


How we use your email Fodor's may use your e-mail address to send you relevant santa fe vacation rentals information on site updates, account changes, and offers. For more information about your privacy and protection, santa fe vacation rentals please review our full Privacy Policy .
in the Sahara and/or Northern Africa. santa fe vacation rentals I'm interested santa fe vacation rentals in topics ranging santa fe vacation rentals from early explorers' memoirs, solo journeys across the Sahara, extreme adventures, and Royal Geographic Society mapping expeditions. At the moment, more interested in non-fiction than fiction. Thanks for any (and all) book suggestions!
You might find an interview with the author on C-Span Books. As I recall the story was a favorite of Abraham Lincoln's. Dean King, the creator of this version, came across the earlier book and then attempted to recreate the adventure, maybe with funding from National Geographic.
In 1815, twelve American sailors washed up on the shore of North Africa. santa fe vacation rentals Captured and sold into slavery, they were then dragged along on an insane santa fe vacation rentals journey through the bone-dry heart of the Sahara-a region no Westerners had ever explored. Rain was expected once every six years and it was so hot that cadavers naturally mummified. Along the way the Americans would encounter everything that could possibly test them: barbarism, murder, starvation, death, dehydration, and hostile tribes that roamed santa fe vacation rentals the desert on armies of camels. SKELETONS ON THE ZAHARA will remind readers of the bestseller In the Heart of the Sea, but in settings more exotic and with hardships even more difficult to survive. From the cold waters santa fe vacation rentals of the Atlantic to the searing Saharan sands, from the heart of the desert to the heart of man, SKELETONS ON THE ZAHARA is a spectacular odyssey through the extremes. This is quite simply the most exciting adventure story to be published in years.
santa fe vacation rentals The book I'm suggesting isn't focused only on North Africa/Sahara, but it's a great adventure/travel book nonetheless. "Around Africa On My Bicycle" is by Riaan Manser, a South African guy who was the first to circumnavigate Africa by bicycle. He goes through all 32(?) African countries with coastline, starting in Cape Town. I'm currently reading his Egypt portion of the trip.
That's ok crosscheck. I knew that's what you meant. I must admit I've read nearly half way through The Sheltering Sky and haven't been able to get into it again. It was slow in that section. W/o giving any *spoilers*, does it pick up? Thanks!
I found the Sheltering Sky riveting because I am a travel fanatic and this book is about the power of new surroundings - whether they cause you to reinvent yourself or to find your true core. (Bowles uses the stark Sahara landscape as provocative allegory.) My book club loved this book and we all have different tastes...so I would definitely recommend finishing it. If you're looking for a literary masterpiece about extreme adventure in N. Africa, this is it. It will stay with you.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий